Chad Kreuzer Tells His Personal Experience Finding Jesus
The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on February 1, 2014 began with announcements by Robert Zollinger. There will be church board meeting this week after prayer meeting.
After an introit by Melinda Pauls, Chad Kreuzer had the invocation. The congregation sang “Be Thou My Vision”, Robert Zollinger had the Morning Prayer, and the congregation sang “Hear Our Prayer, O Lord” in response. Austin (junior) and Abel (senior) collected the church offerings with the loose offering being for the Adventist television ministries. Melinda Pauls and her daughter played a piano duet during the offering time. Robert Zollinger then offered a prayer for the offering.
Davia (9th grader) then told the children a story about a cat called Bad Blacky. It was a different type of cat that liked to eat all possible cat food and be nasty to other cats. The neighbors tried to insist that the cat go to the pound. But then the cat became a very loving cat. His name was changed to Beautiful Blacky.
John Pauls then read Colossians 2:8-10 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
Chad Kreuzer, the Spiritual Retreat speaker, then spoke about his personal experience finding the Lord. He had a series of calls to come to Christ. The congregation then sang “Come, Thou Font of Every Blessing”. Chad Kreuzer then had the closing prayer.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Chad Kreuzer – travels the world telling of his personal experiences finding the Lord
John Pauls – Laurelbrook Academy principal
Robert Zollinger – retired Laurelbrook president and board chairman
Following are some notes from the sermon:
- Solomon wanted to try out everything possible.
- Ecclesiastes 2:3-9 3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life. 4 I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: 5 I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits: 6 I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees: 7 I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: 8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts.
- Note that he was living the ideal experience of a person in 2014. We eat like kings do with food from the whole world all the time.
- Ecclesiastes 2:9-10 9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me. 10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour.
- Solomon had anything he wanted – the queen of Sheba was amazed at his lifestyle. If it were possible to gain happiness by this world, he had it.
- Ecclesiastes 2:11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.
- Solomon had a 1000 women, all that he might want, the greatest houses, etc. But note that nothing made him happy.
- He felt that all these things would bring him joy and happiness, but these things slipped through his fingers time after time.
- People often think actors have happiness, but the recent death of a renowned actor who just committed suicide proves otherwise.
- Ellen White says that man’s strongest impulse is to be happy. The Bible recognizes that desire and that all heaven will unite with you to give you true happiness.
- Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
- The first word of Psalms is “happy”. Psalm 1:1-2 1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
- I grew up in a Christian home in the Christian Reformed Church. I loved God.
- As I grew older, I became terrified and barely thought of God when people harassed me. I gained a street education. Then my fear turned into anger. I turned away from God and stopped praying.
- My thoughts became evil continually like the people before the Flood. I worked out and tried to be strong.
- I disliked the smell of smoke, but I began to smoke because I was given a cigar by the family.
- Sin takes you to a place you never thought you would go.
- I got into drink so I would pass out on the couch and be sleepy at school.
- There was no joy or peace. None of the things I tried – cigarettes, alcohol – brought happiness. Not even relationships brought happiness.
- Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
- Don’t seek the things of God AFTER you seek the things of the world.
- I went from relationship to relationship.
- He got into a fight along the road and was beaten about the head, hearing glass shatter. Fighting didn’t make him happy.
- Each time he tried sin he was not happy.
- But he was not looking at the right place – God.
- When a person does meth, the brain becomes unbalanced and stays that way for a whole year.
- The thing of the world gives us a high and then a low. Pretty soon you have to take drugs to come to the level you wish to feel.
- He began college work and thought that education would be the happiness he wanted.
- One philosophy says that we are here. That’s it.
- His friend was Andy, who was an atheist. His parents were devout Christians. The strange thing was, Andy felt, that he really loved them. But you can’t know love unless you know God.
- One of the girls they encountered invited Andy to church. Andy gives his life to God – and ditched the girl. He came back to his friends and told them that he had to change his life.
- The thought came to my mind that he had what I was seeking in life. Andy went to a charismatic church where all the worldly pleasures were present except the drugs. But when Andy was away from the church he was down in the dumps and eager to get back to church.
- Music is powerful, especially music designed to make you feel in love. My group took secular music and put Jesus in.
- I didn’t feel I needed the Bible. The music made me feel that I could have an emotional relationship with God without the Scriptures.
- Matthew 5:17-18 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Some lady read this, but she then said this was the wrong verse.
- We went to another church where a lady read a brochure announcing a Bible seminar. Andy tried to get him to go and he finally went. It was a powerful Adventist seminar about prophecy.
- Every night I could I went to the meetings. It wasn’t an emotional thing, but I felt that these things were true. So I decided to be baptized. Next day young men tried to disprove what he had heard. So he and the young men debated the young seminar speakers all night.
- At the end of the debate, the speakers said that I should go to a religious college. Then I got a call saying that that he could go to this college, all expenses paid. I rejected it, but the Holy Spirit kept bothering about it.
- After hours of wrestling with the Spirit, he went to the college and quit. His parents thought he was brainwashed. All the parents got involved, but he went to the religious college anyway.
- He was not used to rules, but this college had rules for bedtime. He feared that the school would steal his car so he couldn’t leave.
- So he told God he was leaving the next morning. But the Lord gave him peace so he couldn’t leave.
- He met a young lady at the school, worked together for six years with no interest in each other, and finally the association turned into love. Even non-Adventist people told them they should get married.
- Boys often tell a girl that she is the only one who understand him even if the boy is bad.
- They got married. Now he was finding things the way God wanted to do.
- Happiness comes from what God says.
- Colossians 2:8-10 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power.
- I want you to find happiness and completeness in God.
- During a call to follow Christ, his friend Andy felt that something was holding him down.