Darwin Whitman Talks About the Sanctuary Service
The January 18 church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church began with a welcome and announcements by Charles Sarr. The seminar on church history by Hylton Lindsay will not take place since the final meeting on the sanctuary service will begin in the academy auditorium at 4:30. Next week there will be a religious liberty offering next week.
After an introit by Jacqualine Miller on the piano, Charles Sarr had the invocation, and the congregation sang “Open My Eyes That I May See.” Charles Sarr had the Morning Prayer. Rodney Herra, Paul Frechette, John Ellis, and Gio (senior) collected the church offerings; the loose offering went for local church budget. Charles Sarr prayed for the offerings.
Charles Sarr then told the children a story about the children of Israel coming out of Egypt. Charles Sarr then read Philippines 3:18-20 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Darwin Whitman then spoke on the topic “Bursting Biblical Myths.” The congregation sang “I Would Be Like Jesus”, and Charles Sarr had the benediction.
Charles Sarr – Laurelbrook Academy vice-principal
Darwin Whitman – travels the country bringing information on the Jewish sanctuary under the banner of Sanctuary Crusade, Inc., a self-supporting outreach to all persuasions
Jacqualine Miller – nurse in the Laurelbrook Nursing Home
John Ellis – retired mechanic
Paul Frechette – partly retired Laurelbrook business manager
Rodney Herra – local head church deacon / works for nearby Majestic Stone Company
Following are some notes from the sermon:
- 1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
- Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
- God put you together and gave you a message and set you apart for a holy purpose. A prophet may be someone who spreads God’s message about the future.
- When did God pick us? Did He have any choice?
- Psalm 139:14-16 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. 15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
- Romans says that members are all that we are. Note that these members were written in a book made before the world was created. Each of us has a page containing your name, birthday.
- God sees the overview of everyone’s life on earth. You are here on earth because of your uniqueness. Not everyone can reach everyone else.
- How many choices did God have when He picked you? God had in excess of 250 million choices when He picked you.
- We always compare ourselves with others and think that if we think it is true.
- God wanted the priesthood to reflect the heavenly sanctuary. The white curtains around the courtyard represents God’s character. The pillars represent you and me.
- God wants us to choose Him.
- Both in Jeremiah and in Exodus men argued that they couldn’t speak to rulers or other people.
- You are needed by God today, but you have to follow His plan.
- God desires our fulfillment in Him and our joy on earth.
- 1 Peter 2:9 9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- All God wants is all there is of us all the time.
- Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
- “Peculiar” means “special”. God chose Israel because He loved them; He chose us to show forth praises.
- The priests washed at the laver and took off his shoes before he entered the sanctuary like Moses at the burning bush because the priest was entering holy ground. This indicated reverence.
- Leviticus 19:30 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD. Keeping the right day is of no use if there is no reverence.
- Jesus accused the people of making the Temple a place of merchandise when He ran out the moneychangers. We rob God when we bring ordinary duties and attitudes into God’s house.
- Prayer is conversation with God. He has to speak to us in order to work with us.
- There are four layers in the priest’s uniform – white (God’s purity), blue (loyal to the law),
- Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. God equates clothing with character.
- Philippines 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- Numbers 15:38-39 38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue: 39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:
- Revelation tells us that God’s people will be loyal to the law and Jesus.
- A MYTH - Bells and pomegranates are signals showing where the priest was. If no sound, the priest is dead. If Christians are not moving, they are dead.
- People would pull out a dead priest with a line three miles, 120 feet long. Two million people confessing sins would occupy all the priests so people would have to do this.
- Exodus 30:18-19 18 Thou shalt also make a laver of brass, and his foot also of brass, to wash withal: and thou shalt put it between the tabernacle of the congregation and the altar, and thou shalt put water therein. 19 For Aaron and his sons shall wash their hands and their feet thereat.
- There must have been a way to turn the water off and on because no part of the priest’s body went into the laver.
- Exodus 30:21 So they shall wash their hands and their feet, that they die not: and it shall be a statute for ever to them, even to him and to his seed throughout their generations.
- They did not take sin into the sanctuary.
- When Jesus was hanging on the cross, He was thirsty. He was offered vinegar and gall but refused it because it would have opened the door to Satan.
- We use vinegar, which gives Satan access to our minds.
- We are in the Day of Atonement. The Investigative Judgment has been in progress for more than a century. The fourth angel is already giving the loud cry.
- If we are not following Jesus in the Heavenly Sanctuary, we must warn others. Otherwise, blood will be on our hands, and no one will enter heaven with blood on his hands.
- God picked you to do a unique work for him.
- What are bells ringing for us today? Fulfilled prophecies.
- Luke 17:26-30 26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. 27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. 28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; 29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. 30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
- People today are mixing animals and people just like the people before the Flood.
- Jesus, our High Priest, is ready to say it is done.
- Pomegranates are fruit. In the Bible, fruit represents the outcome of our actions.
- God wants us to have a balanced, exciting life. So priests were given a double apron or ephod.
- Red represents blood, an idea we got from Adam’s red complexion. Blue represents obedience, gold the refining process.
- Philippines 2:5-8 (see Jesus in the colors) 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- Hebrews 2:9-10 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. 10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
- Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
- Jesus showed us how to be merciful to sinners while hating the sin.
- Purple meant royalty. Because Jesus is Ruler of the universe and picked us, this makes us royalty. Our sufferings should be viewed in the light of our position as royalty.
- We hide our Bibles and hide our connection with Jesus.
- Be proud of the fact you were picked by God to show praises out of darkness.
- We don’t need to wonder why things happen to us.
- The breastplate or plate of judgment had 26 stones on it – 12 stones in the middle, 12 as a border, and two to indicate a “yes” or “no” answer.
- Isaiah 30:21 And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.
- Add names to your prayer lists when you hear names.
- The miter has “Holiness to the Lord” written on it. God wants us to use our brains to do things for him. God is not into games where people cheat and hurt each other or into programs where people cheat and hurt others.
- How I conduct my priesthood will determine how others conduct theirs.
- Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
- Why a lack of knowledge? You have rejected wisdom from God.
- God then rejects you because you have not done what God wants and have forgotten your chosen status and the Laws that bind you in that status.
- All God’s children are your children.
- Put away these myths that prevent us from reflecting His character.
- A grownup sheep wandered away from the Divine Shepherd and had to be found.
- May God grant us a new look at our priesthood.