Health Class Presents Health Topics
The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on October 14, 2017 with a welcome and announcements by Rachel (junior). The junior class welcomed everyone to the church service. Lunch will be served in the cafeteria – everyone is welcome.
Jeremy Westcott played an introit on the piano. The congregation had a silent invocation. The congregation then sang “Power in the Blood”. Elyjah (junior) then had the Morning Prayer; the congregation sang “Hear Our Prayer”.
Samantha (sophomore) then called for the offering. Scott Sterling and Daryll Ellis then collected the morning offerings; the loose offering went to the world budget. The congregation sang the doxology, and Samantha prayed for the offering.
Elyjah (junior) then told the children a story about his mother and father buying cookies and putting them into the highest cupboard. Elyjah and his brother CJ made tea for their mother so she would fall asleep. While she slept, the two found the cookies by climbing on the counter; they ate all the cookies and drank quite a bit of milk. That Sabbath night the parents went to get the cookies, but they were gone. The two brothers were disciplined. You should listen to your parents.
Mark (sophomore) then read Genesis 9:4-5 “But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man.” Rachel (junior) sang “As Water to the Thirsty”, accompanied by Samantha on the piano for special music.
Oliver, Elyjah, and Rachel (all juniors) discussed the topic “Health Principles”. Susie Moro mentioned that each of these students are “learning by doing” and thanked the class for their presentations. The congregation sang “He Lives”. Eric (junior) had the closing prayer.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Daryll Ellis – local church deacon / Laurelbrook graduate / works for nearby Majestic Stone Company
Jeremy Westcott – one of the academy classroom teachers
Scott Sterling – one of the academy science teachers / works with Laurelbrook’s IT department
Following are some notes on the talks by Oliver, Elyjah, and Rachel:
1. Oliver spoke about fasting. People in Bible times fasted to humble themselves because they did something wrong. David was an example. They also fasted so they would make the right decision.
2. Christ paid the debt man had accumulated through man’s failure to keep the law.
3. Jesus and Adam had the same temptation, but one (Adam) failed and one met the temptation (Jesus).
4. True fasting means leaving off every stimulating food.
5. At the end of Jesus’ 40-day fast, He overcame the power of food, a very severe test.
6. During this fast, temptations came every minute as the devil tried to overcome Christ. By His victory, Christ enabled humans to overcome appetite.
7. Fasting and prayer promotes a receptive frame of mind.
8. Fasting doesn’t take the place of the Word of God.
9. For many sicknesses the patient should fast to get rid of the effects of bad food. Then a simple diet should be eaten to get the body back in order.
10. Fasting one day a week would be good for many people to get rid of the effects of meats and stimulating foods.
11. A simple diet will not at first attract people who are used to these foods.
12. Rachel spoke about water. Genesis 2:10 “And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.”
13. Psalm 23:2 “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.”
14. Psalm 22:14 “I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.”
15. Isaiah 44:3 “For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:”
16. John 4:10 “Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.”
17. Revelation 7i:17 “For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.”
18. Revelation 22:17 “And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.”
19. Water is one of the main ingredients of our bodies.
20. Elijah spoke about hypertension and cholesterol. This condition brings on serious conditions often leading to death.
21. Hypertension is really high blood pressure.
22. Ellen White says that good blood is essential for a good body. Fevers and disease are nature’s ways of righting problems with the blood.
23. High salt intake and overweight and smoking and lack of exercise leads to hypertension.
24. Ellen White says that simple herbs of the field can cure many diseases.
25. Hypertension drugs often only control hypertension instead of curing it. But a plant-based diet without much salt and exercise and weight loss help the problem. Omitting alcohol also lowers blood pressure.
26. Regular exercise promotes health and well-being.
27. Cholesterol level can be either life-enhancing or deadly. It causes hypertension and clogs up the arteries.
28. The liver manufactures all the cholesterol the body really needs.
29. Excess cholesterol comes from animal products like milk and cheese.
30. Ways to lower cholesterol include not eating animal products and less fat and more fiber and more exercise like brisk walking. A vegan diet helps.
31. Read the labels on foods.
32. Ellen White says that unhealthy people have unclean blood, which can be helped by clear water and exercise.
33. Genesis 1:29-30 “29 ¶ And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein [there is] life, [I have given] every green herb for meat: and it was so.”
34. Genesis 3:18 “Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;”
35. Genesis 9:3-5 “3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. 4 But flesh with the life thereof, [which is] the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. 5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man.”
36. Man’s diet didn’t include animal food until after the Flood.
37. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
38. Ellen White says that all men are the Lord’s property. What are you doing with the Lord’s property?
39. 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 “16 ¶ Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.”
40. Ellen White says that every creature was originally intended to be a place for God to dwell.
41. Those who prayed and attended weekly religious services lowered high blood pressure and gave better health by working with the brain.
42. Susie Moro, the health class teacher – we are at a point in this world when we have to take our health seriously.
43. God took Israel through so many walking journeys to detoxify themselves. They had to realize they needed God.
44. Do we want to satisfy ourselves more than satisfy God?
45. God promised Israel that none of the Egyptian diseases would come upon them if they followed God’s direction and lifestyle. The Egyptians had all of the diseases we have today.
46. Are we willing to stand or wish to go back where it’s comfortable? Many times we long for the Egyptian diet.