Dr. Brewer Discusses the Intricacies of Human Existence
At the beginning of the August 24, 2013 church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church, Charles Sarr made the necessary announcements. The church board meeting will be this coming Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. John Pauls reminded students that next week will be a student campout, and students need to work on their worships. This coming Tuesday there will be a training meeting at the Laurelbrook Lodge for leading small groups during prayer meeting and then another meeting on Sabbath at 2:00.
After Rick Sharp played an introit, Robert Zollinger had the invocation, the congregation sang “How Great Thou Art”, and Robert Zollinger had the Morning Prayer. Robert Zollinger then called for the main offering, which was for the Conference Advance. Verdun (sophomore) and Arman (sophomore) collected the church offerings. Charles Sarr prayed for the offering.
Donna Kanna told the children (others substituted for the children) a story about a time when she was four years old. She got left behind during an event the family and was taken home by a kind stranger. God takes care of us.
Charles Sarr read Psalm 139:13-14 “13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well.”
Sammy (senior) played “To God Be the Glory” as a recorder solo for special music. Dr. Eugene Brewer spoke on the topic “The Hidden Face of God”. The congregation sang “I Would Be Like Jesus”. Charles Sarr closed the service with prayer.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Charles Sarr – head church elder / head campus tech person / head of the academy music department / academy vice-principal
Donna Kanna – taught music lessons during the 2013 school year
Eugene Brewer – associate educational superintendent for the Southern Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
Rick Sharp - pianist accompanying Dr. Brewer when he does presentations
Robert Zollinger – past Laurelbrook president and board chairman
Following are notes on the sermon:
- During Creation, God created innumerable tons of gases and animals and stars.
- Our solar system is 0.0032% of the Milky Way. But the Milky Way alone has two hundred billion stars.
- Job 26:14 “Lo, these [are] parts of his ways: but how little a portion is heard of him? but the thunder of his power who can understand?”
- Job 38:31-32 “31 Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? 32 Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?”
- Job responded that sustaining this universe was beyond him.
- Psalm 19:1 “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.”
- All this vast universe operates without an accident.
- [At this point, Rick Sharp played “This Is My Father’s World”. When the introduction was finished, the congregation sang the first stanza. The ladies sang part of the second stanza alone, the men part of the third stanza alone]
- On the 5th day, God spoke 18,000 species of birds into existence, 20,000 species of fish, and all the animals of nature into existence.
- On the 6th day, Jesus decided to make man in the image of God from the dust and dirt. He breathed into man the breath of His own life.
- Charles Darwin promoted the radical idea of evolution. Here are some reasons why I cannot believe in evolution.
- 47 years ago I started teaching in the Seventh-day Adventist educational system. Yet today evolution is rearing its head in our system.
- Darwin’s The Origin of Species had no place in the theory for God.
- Dr. Schoerder, a biologist at the university in Jerusalem, wrote a book titled The Hidden Face of God. The book says that evolution could not be believed because of advances in science.
- Genesis 1:26-27 “26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”
- Psalm 139:13-14 “13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well.”
- [Rick Sharpe then played “All Things Bright and Beautiful”]
- Fetal brain follow that exact same sequence, developing so that cells form the spinal cord and the brain. A newborn enters the world with approximately 100 billion neurons in the brain.
- A fetal brain has enough programmed neurons so that the child could speak any language in the world. Those neurons not used disappear after a time.
- Neurons migrate outward during the pregnancy into a difficult journey similar to a baby crawling across the United States. This didn’t just happen.
- These neurons form cerebral interstates complete with rest stops. Each layers of the brain are populated in turn automatically and filled.
- These immature neurons then settle down and form a circuit with other neurons.
- Genesis says humans were made in the image of God. This didn’t just happen.
- Each human owns his/her will and decisions lead to predictable results.
- Between 0.4 and 4 seconds before you move any part of your body, there is a predictable brain movement, getting ready for the movement.
- This seems to bury the idea of free will; therefore, we are not responsible for actions. But there is a pause before the movement for the brain to OK or VETO the action. We are still in charge and control. This didn’t just happen.
- There are many, many texts dealing with the heart in the Bible, particularly targeting what we do. But in a sense, the Bible is correct when it says we think with our hearts. The brain and the heart intensively interact with each other. There are sensors that monitor heart actions and often send this information to the brain.
- His nephew had to have a heart transplant. The new heart turned him to the attractiveness of chocolate milk, for example. When someone receives another person’s heart, it seems that he/she may receive the good or bad points of that person’s life.
- Genesis 2:2-3 “2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.”
- The 7th day Sabbath was to be a perpetual reminder of human being’s roots.
- Satan could destroy marriage, the Sabbath, and Christ’s death as an atonement for our sins if he could just get people not to believe in the story of Creation.
- Genesis 2:21-24 “21 ¶ And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. 23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”
- Marriage came about as a result of Creation.
- Exodus 20:8-12 “8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates: 11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. 12 ¶ Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”
- Ezekiel 20:12 “Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I [am] the LORD that sanctify them.”
- The Sabbath is a sign you recognize God as the Creator.
- Romans 5:12 “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
- Note that Adam came first, sin next, and then death to all men.
- If evolution is true, then death would have been occurring millions of years before Adam. Anything would go. Humans would not need the Gift of God (Jesus). This extinguishes any hope for the human race.
- [Rick Sharp then led the congregation in singing “The Lord’s Prayer”]
- Dr. Brewer doesn’t have enough faith to believe in evolution.
- Stuart Hamblen wrote a song dealing with how big God is and also celebrating the fact that He can live within our hearts.