Bob and Michelle Gustafson Talk About a Christian's Armor
The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on January 14, 2017 began with recorded music playing. Elizabeth Castle had the Personal Ministries Corner.
- She reminded the congregation that a group in the conference room meets at 7:00 p.m. and engages in prayer in fulfilment of the Ten Days of Prayer called for by the General Conference.
- Religious liberty offering is coming up at the end of the month. 90,000 people died for their faith in 2016.
Stanton Rolle had the announcements. Today vespers will be at 5:30 in the church. There will be lunch in the cafeteria today. Join the group at 7:00 p.m. for the Ten Days of Prayers.
- The Bible series in the local shopper continues; she read a letter from one person who appreciated the articles and who dealt with the various types of people who deal with the truths God has for each of them.
The congregation had a silent invocation. The congregation then sang “Onward Christian Soldiers”. Stanton Rolle had the Morning Prayer; the congregation responded with “Hear Our Prayer, O Lord”.
Sam (senior) then called for the offering. John Ellis and Elyjah (sophomore) then collected the morning offerings; the loose offering went to the local conference advance. The congregation sang the doxology, and Stanton Rolle prayed for the offering.
Terrence White then showed the children present a video clip about the 4th Commandment – the 7th Day is a special day of no work and time with God. It’s a date with you and Jesus.
Cesar (senior) then read the scripture reading - Ephesians 6:10-11 “10 ¶ Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”
Moises (9th grader) then played a violin solo for special music, using a pre-recorded accompaniment. Bob and Michelle Gustafson discussed the topic “Let Us Get Dressed for the Day”. The congregation sang “Stand Up! Stand Up for Jesus!” Bob Gustafson had the closing prayer.
The girls were out at the Laurelbrook Lodge for a special program. TJ (senior) ran the sound system for this service.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Bob Gustafson – Laurelbrook vice-president / men’s work coordinator / works with Laurelbrook’s used furniture program / head local church elder
Michelle Gustafson – wife of Bob Gustafson / assists her husband with his various duties
Stanton Rolle – Laurelbrook business manager
Following are some notes on the sermon by Bob Gustafson:
- Genesis 2:24 “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”
- Ephesians 6:10-20 “10 ¶ Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 19 ¶ And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.”
- Today we will discuss the spiritual clothes we need to withstand Satan’s attacks.
- Ellen White says that all who are protected by God must have a personal experience in the ways of God given amid the silence of communication with Him.
- Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.” Christ wants to give us His companionship.
- Girting your waist with truth – there is not a situation in life for which counsel in Bible cannot be found.
- John 16:13 “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.”
- Colossians 1:5 “For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;”
- Many passages in the Bible give us something to hope for.
- Breastplate of righteousness – Proverbs 10:2 “Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivereth from death.”
- Something dishonorable or unjust will return to bite you.
- Proverbs 11:5-19 “5 ¶ The righteousness of the perfect shall direct his way: but the wicked shall fall by his own wickedness. 6 The righteousness of the upright shall deliver them: but transgressors shall be taken in [their own] naughtiness. 7 ¶ When a wicked man dieth, [his] expectation shall perish: and the hope of unjust [men] perisheth. 8 ¶ The righteous is delivered out of trouble, and the wicked cometh in his stead. 9 ¶ An hypocrite with [his] mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered. 10 ¶ When it goeth well with the righteous, the city rejoiceth: and when the wicked perish, [there is] shouting. 11 By the blessing of the upright the city is exalted: but it is overthrown by the mouth of the wicked. 12 ¶ He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace. 13 A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter. 14 ¶ Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety. 15 ¶ He that is surety for a stranger shall smart [for it]: and he that hateth suretiship is sure. 16 ¶ A gracious woman retaineth honour: and strong [men] retain riches. 17 ¶ The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but [he that is] cruel troubleth his own flesh. 18 ¶ The wicked worketh a deceitful work: but to him that soweth righteousness [shall be] a sure reward. 19 ¶ As righteousness [tendeth] to life: so he that pursueth evil [pursueth it] to his own death.”
- Ellen White says that were we to know the beginning from the end we would choose what Christ has for us.
- Proverbs 13:5-6 “5 ¶ A righteous [man] hateth lying: but a wicked [man] is loathsome, and cometh to shame. 6 ¶ Righteousness keepeth [him that is] upright in the way: but wickedness overthroweth the sinner.”
- Putting the gospel of peace on your feet – Ephesians 2:13-19 “13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14 ¶ For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us]; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;”
- If we trust Him and listen to the Spirit, we are preparing ourselves for a peaceful day.
- The only real surrender to Jesus is to come to Him in prayer and Bible study. He will carry you even when you think you cannot bear anymore.
- Colossians 3:14-16 “14 And above all these things [put on] charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”
- The shield of faith – Psalm 84:11 “For the LORD God [is] a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good [thing] will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.”
- God will do what He says He will do – we must believe this in faith.
- Be there for each other since all have struggles.
- Hebrews 11:1-3 “1 ¶ Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report. 3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.”
- The Spirit we have to accept by faith.
- Hebrews 12:2 “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
- Jesus finished the race; all we have to do is finish the race ourselves. Christ has won the battle for us.
- Ellen White says that every evil practice we have must be put away.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:3 “But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep [you] from evil.” Do we trust that this is true?
- The helmet – Philippines 2:12-13 “12 ¶ Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of [his] good pleasure.”
- Philippines 2:14-15 “14 ¶ Do all things without murmurings and disputings: 15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;”
- When we do what is right and connected, people will see we are different. Helping others gives a Christian special joy.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:7-11 “7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. 9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. 11 ¶ Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.”
- We pray for each person at Laurelbrook every day.
- The sword – Matthew 10:34 “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”
- Christ wants us to understand that our peace in only in Him, not in the world.
- John 16:33 “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
- Can you imagine what heaven will be like? No more sickness, no more sin, perfect peace.
- Until that day comes, we need to dress in our spiritual armor and work for Christ.