Angel and Terrence White Put on a Sabbath School Christmas Program
Sabbath services on December 24, 2016 began with a piano introit by Penny Thomas. Michelle Gustafson led the song service, accompanied by Penny Thomas on the piano. The opening song was “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”.
The congregation then became one Sabbath School class taught by Clayton Brandt on the character of Job.
Angel White led the congregation in singing “O Come, O Ye Faithful” and then had prayer. She then read several quotes about Christmas and discussed Christmas (interspersed with music).
Tiana (Angel’s daughter) then played “What Child Is This?” as a piano solo.
- We are not told the precise date of Christ’s birth so we don’t worship the day.
- Matthew 1:20-21 “20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. 22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,” [read by Terrence White]
Tiana and Angelene (another daughter) sang “And the Gift Goes On”.
- Christ gave Himself to redeem us from sin.
Angel White and her daughters then sang “Do You Hear What I Hear?”
- Angels watched to see how humans would receive God’s Son.
- The Jewish nation didn’t know Jesus was coming. Their ceremonies simply went on. Only a few were longing to see Jesus appear.
TerriAnn (9th grader and another daughter) then sang “Away in a Manager”, accompanying herself on guitar.
- Luke 2:8-12 “8 ¶ And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this [shall be] a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.” [read by Terrence White]
Angel White then led the congregation in singing the second and third stanzas of “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”. She then read verses dealing with the wise men.
- Luke 2:13-14 “13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” [read by Terrence White]
Terrence White and his daughters then sang “We Three Kings” as a vocal group.
- The Wise Men turned to the Hebrew Scriptures because the birth of Christ was more clearly described than in any of their sacred writings.
- Balaam had predicted the coming of Christ with a star in the heavens.
The congregation then sang “Joy to the World”. Angel White closed the program with prayer.
- As Christmas is observed, it can be used to direct us and others to God rather than entertainment.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Angel White – Laurelbrook Elementary School teacher / wife of Terrence White
Bob Gustafson – Laurelbrook vice-president / men’s work coordinator / works with Laurelbrook’s emerging furniture business
Michelle Gustafson – works with her husband Bob Gustafson, helping him with his various activities
Penny Thomas – Laura Mae Zollinger’s caregiver
Terrence White – local head church deacon / in charge of Laurelbrook’s vehicle shop