Gerry Lewin Talks About Christ's Second Coming
The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on December 3, 2016 began with an introit by Penny Thomas on the piano. Elizabeth Castle had the Personal Ministries Corner, mentioning that the weekly shopper Bible series is continuing. Dorka Ellis mentioned that nearby neighbor Betty Hudson is turning 90 and that there is a card on the communion table that everyone could sign. Dorka also gave a book about the movie “Tell the World” to a lady in the bank. She watched it with her husband. Be sure to remember the choir trip to Florida next week in your prayers.
Rich Sutton had the announcements. Jim Sinclair is turning 90; there will be a fellowship gathering for him. Don’t forget to pray for the Mexico trip this coming Christmas break. The Laurelbrook Missions Offering is helping students and staff members go on the trip. Pray that some border crossing difficulties may be solved.
The congregation had a silent invocation. The congregation then sang “Seeking the Lost”. Rich Sutton then had the Morning Prayer; the congregation sang “Hear Our Prayer”.
Rich Sutton then called for the offering. Paul Frechette and Daryll Ellis then collected the morning offerings; the loose offering went to the local church budget. The congregation sang the doxology, and Rich Sutton prayed for the offering.
Clifton Brandt then read Zephaniah 2:3 “Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD’S anger.” The congregation then sang “Angels We Have Heard on High”.
Gerry Lewin discussed the topic “Jesus Is Coming Soon”. The congregation sang “Great Is Thy Faithfulness”. Gerry Lewin had the closing prayer.
No students were present as Laurelbrook’s music groups were putting on a program at the Cedar Ridge Seventh-day Adventist Church not far from Cleveland, TN. Terrence White ran the newly-installed sound system tying the P.A. system into a newly installed ceiling projector and a computer for running various programs.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Clifton Brandt – works with Laurelbrook’s water, sewer, and boiler program / local head deacon / local church elder
Daryll Ellis – works for nearby Majestic Stone Company / local church deacon
Gerry Lewin – works in the Laurelbrook Nursing Home
Paul Frechette – retired Laurelbrook business manager
Rich Sutton – Laurelbrook president
Terrence White - runs Laurelbrook’s vehicle shop / local head church deacon
Following are some notes on the sermon by Gerry Lewin:
- Zephaniah 2:3 “Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD’S anger.”
- When canvassing, you occasionally meet people who are overjoyed to meet you and respond to the message you have.
- The Judgment is really for the righteous, not the wicked.
- Revelation 12:10 “And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.” Satan is constantly pointing out our sins to God.
- Proverbs 24:16 “For a just [man] falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.”
- The Judgment is really God showing off His well-behaved children.
- But we need to surround ourselves with people who help us with our walk with God.
- Pride is a leading factor is nearly all sins and is the biggest block to repentance.
- Are we seeking righteousness and meekness when we put ourselves into wrong situations or gloat over the faults of others?
- Jesus says to do good to others so others have a chance and reason to do these things to you.
- We need to focus on doing good rather than avoiding evil.
- Zephaniah 1:14-18 “14 ¶ The great day of the LORD [is] near, [it is] near, and hasteth greatly, [even] the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly. 15 That day [is] a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness, 16 A day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers. 17 And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung. 18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD’S wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.”
- Zephaniah 3:8 “Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination [is] to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, [even] all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy.”
- This world will end; even science says it. This world is overwhelming with sadness and sorrow.
- Zephaniah 3:9 God’s Word to the Nations “"Then I will give all people pure lips to worship the LORD and to serve him with one purpose.”
- Revelation 21:1-4 “1 ¶ And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God [is] with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, [and be] their God. 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” No more pain!
- Revelation 21:5-7 “5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. 6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. 7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.”
- God asks us for a life of service to Him in exchange for all eternity in bliss.
- Satan is perfected In the art of concealing the great controversy going on in this earth.
- Time is so short that the process of perfecting character is being intensified. So seek righteousness and meekness by picking up your Bible and listening to God’s voice.