Rodney Herra Discusses Our Reaction to the Second Coming
The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on October 22, 2016 began with an introit by Penny Thomas on the organ.
Elizabeth Castle had the Personal Ministries Corner. She reminded everyone that Jesus went into the Most Holy Place in the heavenly sanctuary to begin figuring out who was eligible for heaven. This Investigative Judgment terrifies most Adventists. A speaker years ago said that the book of Job was a picture of the Investigative Judgment.
Rich Sutton updated everyone on the work of the group who went to Mexico. The students are preaching and working with Vacation Bible Schools – and doing quite well. Laurelbrook is again leading the way forwarding God’s Kingdom.
Rich Sutton also announced that dinner would be at the Gustafson’s house, not the cafeteria.
The congregation had a silent invocation. The congregation then sang “Gleams of the Golden Morning”. Rich Sutton then had the Morning Prayer; the congregation sang “Hear Our Prayer”. Rich Sutton then called for the offering. Arlin and Isaac (seniors) then collected the morning offerings; the loose offering went to local conference advance. The congregation sang the doxology, and Rich Sutton prayed for the offering.
Rodney Herra then told the children present a story about his family going along a railroad track picking berries for food. Rodney was in a wagon on the track, and his siblings heard a train coming. His brother ran and threw the wagon and Rodney over the bank, the train just barely missing Rodney and the wagon. God was taking care of the family even though they were not Christians at that particular time.
Rich Sutton then read Revelation 14:6, 14-15 “6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people. 14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud [one] sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. 15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.”
Michelle Gustafson then sang “Come, Thou Almighty King” as a vocal solo for special music, accompanying herself on the piano. Rodney Herra discussed the topic “The Second Coming”. The congregation sang “We Have This Hope”. Clifton Brandt had the closing prayer.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Penny Thomas – takes care of Laura Mae Zollinger, a retired nurse living on the Laurelbrook property
Michelle Gustafson - wife of Bob Gustafson, Laurelbrook’s men’s work coordinator / in charge of the school kitchen
Rich Sutton – Laurelbrook president
Rodney Herra – Laurelbrook farm manager / in charge of the current nursing home reroofing project/ works with the auto body program
Following are some notes on the sermon by Rodney Herra:
- Acts 1:6-11 “6 ¶ When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. 9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.” This is a promise that Jesus will come again.
- What did people do to prepare for Jesus’ Coming in 1844? They spread the gospel and got rid of everything that they felt they did not need. They sold their houses and left their corn and potatoes in the fields.
- We claim to look forward to Jesus’ Coming, but are we really? Are we accumulating things or getting things for myself and not for the work?
- What are the signs of the End of Time? Natural disasters occur much more often with more tornadoes, hurricanes, and fires.
- Children and parents turn against each other. Parents and children both step on each other to advance.
- Matthew 21:23-31 “23 ¶ And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority? 24 And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him? 26 But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet. 27 And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things. 28 ¶ But what think ye? A [certain] man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. 29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. 30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I [go], sir: and went not. 31 Whether of them twain did the will of [his] father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.”
- Jesus said the sinners would make it into the Kingdom before the spiritual leaders because the sinners recognized their need.
- All of our lives are full, but we need to trust in God to give us the strength and the willingness to do the jobs we need to do. “Today” is all we need to concern ourselves with.
- One son recognized he needed to do what he was asked to do.
- Matthew 21:32-44 “32 For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it], repented not afterward, that ye might believe him. 33 ¶ Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country: 34 And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it. 35 And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another. 36 Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise. 37 But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son. 38 But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance. 39 And they caught him, and cast [him] out of the vineyard, and slew [him]. 40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? 41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out [his] vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons. 42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? 43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. 44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.”
- We need to be broken on the rock of Jesus. We need to remember that Jesus has been investigating who belongs in heaven during the 172 years since 1844 when the Judgment began.
- Ancient Israelites were cut off from Israel if they had one thing in their lives that was not of God that God had pointed out to them and remained uncorrected.
- We are not willing to let the Lord use us so we are still here on this earth.
- Since we are living in End Times, are we really serious about the things in our lives that need correcting?
- We don’t have tomorrow – only today.
- Satan has had 6000 years’ experience of deception while we have only a few years. Are we letting God make us right with Him by letting Jesus come into our lives fully?
- Job didn’t understand why things were happening the way they were, but he still believed and trusted in God.
- Working with young people is hard, but if we let God use us it won’t be hard.
- God paid the maximum price – His son – to save each of us. For this reason, we need to allow God to lead and recognize the value of each person.
- Jesus is coming soon – do we truly believe this and order our lives accordingly?