Hillis Jeffries Discussed the Woman Who Touched Jesus
The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on February 6, 2016 began with an introit by Min Sterling on the piano. Elizabeth Castle had the Personal Ministries Corner.
- Bob Gustafson told about dealing with an individual selling a semi-truck on the internet. When he learned that the truck would be used by a mission boarding high school, the individual offered to sell the truck for $6000; he had put over $30,000 into it in the past year. Bob Gustafson envisions possibly teaching students how to drive this type of truck.
Rich Sutton welcomed everyone and mentioned that the auto body program may have the needed funds to buy the truck mentioned earlier. Vespers will be at the individual class parties.
- Cheryl Orser was privileged to attend a Bible studies graduation last night at one of the nearby prisons.
The congregation had a silent invocation. The congregation then sang “How Great Thou Art”. Rich Sutton then had the Morning Prayer; the congregation sang “Hear Our Prayer”. Jessica (senior) then called for the offering, which was for local church budget. Haniel (senior) and Clifton Brandt then collected the morning offerings. While the offering was being collected, the Acre family accompanied Min Sterling on various musical instruments. The congregation sang the doxology, and Rich Sutton prayed for the offering.
Eric (senior) told the children a story about Grayfriars Bob, a Scottish terrier who until his death watched over his master’s grave. A little house was built in the cemetery for him. The mayor paid Grayfriars Bob’s dog’s license until the dog was died and was buried next to his master. The dog had watched his master’s grave faithfully for 14 years.
Sheryl (senior) read Mark 5:33-34 “33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth. 34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.” Chelsea (sophomore) and Hillis’ daughter then had special music, accompanied on the piano by Min Sterling.
Hillis Jeffries III then discussed the topic “The Touch That Heals”. The congregation sang “He Touched Me”. Hillis Jeffries III had the closing prayer.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Hillis Jeffries III – academy boys’ dean
Min Sterling - wife of Scott Sterling, a teacher and staff member / currently caring for her parents in Collegedale
Rich Sutton – Laurelbrook president
Following are some notes on the sermon by Hillis Jeffries III:
Is your anchor in Jesus strong today? Have your life issues been given to Jesus?
- One day you may be here and the next day gone – death comes at unexpected times. Satan is busy, but Jesus works harder than he does.
- Mark 5:25-34 “25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years, 26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse, 27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment. 28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole. 29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in [her] body that she was healed of that plague. 30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes? 31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? 32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing. 33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth. 34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.”
- When was the last time you were touched by Jesus?
- This woman may have had chronic hemorrhage, causing death or hospital stays. This woman should have been dead, considering the state of medicine at the time.
- She had totally withdrawn from society and suffered many things from doctors and from society.
- Leviticus 15:19-25 “19 ¶ And if a woman have an issue, [and] her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even. 20 And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. 21 And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even. 22 And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even. 23 And if it [be] on [her] bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even. 24 And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean. 25 And if a woman have an issue of her blood many days out of the time of her separation, or if it run beyond the time of her separation; all the days of the issue of her uncleanness shall be as the days of her separation: she [shall be] unclean.”
- This woman had suffered 12 years of constantly flowing blood and had to be isolated in her home because anything she touched was unclean. She could not be a part of the family anymore.
- She couldn’t go to church anymore. Everyone felt that her problem was due to some sin she had.
- This issue probably caused her dizziness and breathing problems. Anywhere she went she had to cry that she was unclean.
- If she went to the store, she had to know exactly what she wanted because everything she touched was unclean.
- When we have problems, do we do as this woman did and call on the name of Jesus?
- She got up and went to Jesus’ presence. She had merely heard Jesus’ name.
- Everyone in that age focused on the problem and so couldn’t heal her. So she wanted only to touch his clothing because she understood that Jesus’ power was exercised in a whole new way – by speaking, touching.
- This woman had gone to all the various types of healing prevalent in that day and age.
- When she touched Jesus’ garment, her issue was immediately stopped. What is your issue?
- Have you ever had an issue that turned your life upside down?
- She knew what had happened, but she didn’t realize Jesus had healed her.
- Jesus wanted to know who had touched Him and been healed.
- So the woman knelt before Him and told Him. She was afraid; her mind needed to be healed as well.
- While this was going on, the daughter of the synagogue leader died (but she was resurrected as well when Jesus finally got there).
- If we believe, we are able through Jesus’ power to do more than we ever thought (five churches in Mexico, for example, instead of just three or four).
- Jesus wanted to change this woman’s life and restore her to her rightful position.
- Everyone this woman touched getting to Jesus was made unclean, but all these people were healed and rendered cleaned also.
- Jesus wants you to touch Him so He can change your life.