Susan Athearn Discusses Rebellion
The church service in the Laurelbrook Seventh-day Adventist Church on July 4, 2015 began with an introit by Beth Brandt on the piano. Elizabeth Castle had the Personal Ministries Corner. Rich Sutton and Rodney Herra had prayers for the General Conference Session in San Antonio, Texas currently in session. Rodney Herra followed with the announcements. Please don’t touch the tinting on the lobby windows. Rodney Herra then read the nominating committee list (the first reading). The officers will start next week after the second reading.
The congregation had a silent invocation. The congregation then sang “Live Out Thy Life Within Me”. Rodney Herra then had the Morning Prayer; the congregation sang “Hear Our Prayer”. Lorealle (senior) then called for the offering, which was for the local church budget. Paul Frechette and Matthew (sophomore) then collected the morning offerings. The congregation sang the doxology, and Lorealle prayed for the offering.
Cheyna Ashe then told the children about zebras. Male zebras are often very close to their fathers. The stripes often confuse bugs. They never wonder far from a water hole. Families stick together, trying to drive away predators away together. The zebras’ unique stripes often confuse the predators. Similarly each Christian has a unique character. As the zebras hang together, so Christians and Jesus make a mighty combination to drive off the devils. Christians often wonder far from Jesus’ water hole – unlike zebras. Jesus’ stripes save Christians as do the zebras’ stripes.
Jessica Fields then read Micah 6:8 “He hath shewed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” Jairit and Polina (sophomores), Cheyna Ashe, and Darius (junior) then sang “Onward Christian Soldiers” for special music, accompanied by Min Sterling on the piano.
Susan Athearn then discussed the topic “Rebellion”. The congregation sang “I Would Be Like Jesus”. Susan Athearn had the closing prayer.
Cheyna Ashe and Darius (junior) also accompanied the church service.
Personnel Other Than Students:
Beth Brandt – wife of Clayton Brandt, local church elder who works with Laurelbrook’s heavy equipment
Cheyna Ashe – accountant / assistant girls’ dean
Jessica Fields – works with the Laurelbrook cleaning crew
Min Sterling – wife of Scott Sterling, one of the academy math and science teachers / works with the music program and in the academy office on occasion
Paul Frechette – local head deacon / retired Laurelbrook business manager
Rodney Herra – local head church elder / works with Laurelbrook’s auto body program
Susan Athearn – Laurelbrook Nursing Home business manager
Following are some notes on the sermon by Susan Athearn:
- Benedict Arnold and Satan both rebelled with considerable consequences.
- Benedict Arnold joined with fellow patriot Ethan Allen to capture a British fort containing much artillery. After a failed invasion of Canada, he directed the building a fleet of ships on Lake Champlain and kept the British occupied during the summer invasion season.
- But Benedict Arnold didn’t feel he was getting the recognition he deserved since others were promoted quicker than he was. He forgot that the Revolution was not about him.
- Similarly Christians often forget that the Great Controversy is not just about them.
- George Washington talked Benedict Arnold back into army, was put under a general he didn’t like, and managed to win a victory by not following orders. The other general took most of the credit for the victory for himself.
- Benedict Arnold was given the military governorship of Philadelphia, married and lived a lavish lifestyle, and came up with a deadly.
- Isaiah 30:1-3 “1 ¶ Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin: 2 That walk to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in the shadow of Egypt! 3 Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt [your] confusion.”
- Benedict Arnold then trusted in the British – Pharaoh – and planned to hand over West Point.
- Imagine the sorrow of Washington and others when Benedict Arnold became the most reviled person in U.S. history.
- His treason caused the Americans to rally to push for independence.
- Ezekiel 28:13-15 “13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone [was] thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou ptmountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou [wast] perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.”
- This is the devil prior to his becoming Satan, who didn’t think he was appreciated either.
- Exodus 33:18-23 “18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. 20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. 21 And the LORD said, Behold, [there is] a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: 22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.”
- Moses can only hear God’s voice and wanted to see what God looked like. So God permitted Moses to see the back of His figure.
- Exodus 34:30,33 “30 And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him. 33 And [till] Moses had done speaking with them, he put a vail on his face.”
- Ezekiel 28:14 “Thou [art] the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee [so]: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.”
- Imagine how the light from God reflected on Satan and his clothing when he was in the presence of God.
- Ellen White says that because Satan had had a high position and became better at deceiving because he had been with God. But the death of Jesus clearly showed the nature of Satan’s rebellion.
- Lucifer’s position gave him the power to better at deception.
- Ezekiel 28:13 “Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone [was] thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.”
- Lucifer could have had a musical instrument as part of his body, making his deceptions worse. He was given specific gifts to lead out in the worship of God.
- Both Satan and Benedict Arnold wanted to be worshipped themselves, not leading out in worship of others.
- Satan wants us to resent the actions of others and turn us towards rebellion against God.
- Let’s turn to what God wants us to do instead of what Satan wants us to do.
- Let’s fly the right flag.