Sharon Oxentenko Speaks About Jesus' Soon Coming
The 2015 Alumni Homecoming began with a song service Friday evening led by two members of the 2015 senior class –Rebecca and Sarah. The opening hymn, the theme song for this weekend, was “We Have This Hope”. Phillip Walton, alumni president, welcomed everyone and reminded everyone that the weekend’s theme was “The Time Is Now”.
Rebecca, her sister Heidi, and Stephany (junior) sang a vocal trio, accompanied on the violin by Sarah and on the piano by Kristina Pauls. Sharon Oxentenko (Class of 1985 and Rebecca’s and Heidi’s mother) spoke on the topic “Now Is Your Hour”. The congregation sang the closing hymn – “The Old Rugged Cross”. Ron Oxentenko (Laurelbrook business manager and Class of 1985 member) had the closing prayer.
Audio recording - Sharon Oxentenko's talk
Following are notes from the talk by Sharon Oxentenko:
- People have waited for important events like weddings or alumni weekends, knowing what will go on when the date and the hour arrives.
- Luke 12:40 “Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.”
- Luke 12:35-36 “35 Let your loins be girded about, and [your] lights burning; 36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.”
- Revelation 19:7-8 “7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.”
- Do we really feel righteous? It’s Jesus’ righteousness that counts.
- Jesus wants us at the heavenly marriage supper but hasn’t announced the day or the hour it will take place.
- Matthew 25:1-13 “1 ¶ Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2 And five of them were wise, and five [were] foolish. 3 They that [were] foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 9 But the wise answered, saying, [Not so]; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.”
- Have you opened your heart to receive the Holy Spirit?Is the light of the Son of God shining through you? On earth Jesus was filled with the Spirit and tried to direct people to God.
- Are we ready to get married to God?
- Luke 12:37 “Blessed [are] those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.”
- Revelation 7:1-3 “1 ¶ And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.”
- The servants will be sealed and watching people who will be at the marriage supper.
- Revelation 14:1 “And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty [and] four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.”
- Revelation 14:4 “These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, [being] the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.”
- What kind of people are these servants?Certainly not perfect. They are found worthy only by the mercy and love of Jesus. They marry Jesus and take His name.They have no guile.
- Little by little God’s Spirit is being withdrawn from the earth.More and more horror stories are emerging of terrorist attacks on universities, of plane wrecks.
- Jesus won’t hold back these winds of strife forever.
- Luke 12:37-40 “37 Blessed [are] those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. 38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find [them] so, blessed are those servants. 39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. 40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.”
- The Oxentenkos had their Florida house broken into every year when they went on vacation.By the third year, when they left, they would have been ready.
- Matthew 26:41 “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed [is] willing, but the flesh [is] weak.”
- Jesus taught us how to pray for God’s strength to help us when we are tempted.
- Are you opening your heart’s door to Jesus and preparing yourself for His coming?
- Luke 12:41-43“41 ¶ Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? 42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom [his] lord shall make ruler over his household, to give [them their] portion of meat in due season? 43 Blessed [is] that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.”
- Joseph was met an overwhelming temptation, but he resisted.
- Are you ready for Jesus to come?What kind of coming is this?
- Ellen White says that the servants of God are sealed by an invisible mark that makes them firmly in the Lord’s camp.This was written in 1902.
- Luke 12:42 “41 ¶ Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? 42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom [his] lord shall make ruler over his household, to give [them their] portion of meat in due season?”
- Are you giving the message for this time? Joseph did that in his time.
- Luke 12:45-47 “45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; 46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for [him], and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47 And that servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not [himself], neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many [stripes].”
- These are the people who are not looking for the coming of the master.
- Luke 12:48 “But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.”
- We are not supposed to be the ones who are not prepared.
- Luke 12:46-53 “49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? 50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! 51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: 52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. 53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.”
- There are three baptisms – water, the Holy Spirit, fire.
- Jesus knew about being baptized with fire.We are in a battle for our salvation and against temptation.
- Hebrews 2:10 “For it became him, for whom [are] all things, and by whom [are] all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.”
- Hebrews 2:17-18 “17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto [his] brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things [pertaining] to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.”
- What kind of hour are we living in?
- Jesus conquered Satan the same way we can – by using the Word to resist the devil.
- The wages of sin is death; we deserve to die.But God loved us and gave Jesus to save us.
- Jesus was tempted to do His own will in the Garden but resisted doing His own will and did His Father’s Will.
- Jesus died on the cross, arose, and went back to heaven – this is Easter Weekend.
- Luke 12:54-56 “54 ¶ And he said also to the people, When ye see a cloud rise out of the west, straightway ye say, There cometh a shower; and so it is. 55 And when [ye see] the south wind blow, ye say, There will be heat; and it cometh to pass. 56 [Ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time?”
- How will you answer when tempted by fire or the Mark of the Beast?Will you believe in God in that hour and ask to do God’s Will in spite of your circumstances?
- Are you ready?